Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Amazing Artist in our Midst


freemontPan, originally uploaded by skuz.

I can't sit on this any longer. I would like everybody to check out Gabe's recent artwork on his flickr page when you have time. Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, make sure you have more than just a few minutes to spare .... click on this link and browse through Gabes fantastic sketches.


oldBuilding, originally uploaded by skuz.

He's really developing a style, practicing all the time, improving by leaps and bounds everyday. Not only does Gabe record and document the world he sees around him -- he also imbues his drawings and rough sketches with emotion, imagination, passion. That's what art is all about anyway -- as artists, we aren't just trying to reproduce reality. We are trying to communicate what we see, the uniqueness of our vision, the underlying, not-so-obvious connections between our inner selves (feelings, soul, spirit, life-purpose, whatever you want to call it) and the outer world. Gabe's view of life is truly unique. And if you are open to looking past what you see at first glance, in his drawings .... I think his perspective will help you expand your mind ... expand your experience of the world .

Gabe's recent drawings are full of energy, dynamic and passionate. He's also capable of technically accurate quick sketches, heartfelt poetry and prose. I like the way Gabe thinks!

I was trying not to, but I give up --- I am definitely into bragging about this young artist now. ('course, I'm sure I'm biased, but parents get to be that way w/o apologizing, right?) Gabe is going to be famous someday and all of us can say we knew him when ... he was just a "kid" on a bike with paper-bag-journals ... giving away his art for meals and a place to lay his head.

Anyway, check out his drawings if you're curious --- and let him know what you think. Knowing Gabe, I'm sure he welcomes honest opinions!

Oh, before I sign off -- I wanted to call your attention to the links in the post above ... the bold, colored words are links that lead you to some of his sketches and writings.

If anyone would like a FREE lesson in making hotlinks as part of your blog post, like I do, just ask. I'll send you an email of how to do it really easily.

5 comments:

Skuz said...

wow, thanks mom. thanks a lot.

Maureen said...

you're welcome, Gabe ... it's all true and it's all good. You deserve the prase.

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Hi Gabe, I agree totally with your mom. I'm amazed at your paintings and drawings!! I must find several hours of uninterrupted time to go through them again. Sorry I missed you in BC.

Love, grandma

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Hey Gabe,

I like your work... I can see that it is evolving from your earlier work. Keep up the good work. Maybe I should purchase one now before you become too famous and the prices get out of hand.

Peter

Maureen said...

Gabe, I'd say go for it ... it's not every day you get an offer from one of your family members to actually BUY something of yours! Take Peter up on it! :)