480 Stairs!!!
I've started running again after several (maybe five?) years of generally slacking off and finding excuses to delay yet another day. I volunteered to do a 10 km run next month (yikes!) with my adopted riding family because I figured that was a good reason to get my butt in gear and get fit!
The neighborhood I live in is fantastic for running because there's access to trails in the river valley from three directions from my front door. One particular direction takes me across the freeway, down into Whitemud Ravine and up the other side. The trip up the other side is fantastic!!! 240 stairs later (counted them today!), you make it to the top, legs burning, lungs burning, heart burning (it's only my third time running so far), and sweat pouring!
Today I ran to the stairs (about 2 km) and decided that I was going to run to the top this time instead of walking. It was more of a half walk/half shuffle, but I did it twice, which is better than the last two times! My goal is to be able to run to the stairs, run them 5 times in a row, then run all the way back home without having to stop for a rest or to use my inhaler. Things are looking good so far.
I've convinced my new roomate to join when she has time between studying, classes, and working, so I now have a person to help motivate me and keep me running even when I think I can't run anymore. I've never enjoyed runing outside (preferred a treadmill), but since the weather is so nice right now (12" snow and zero degrees), I've discovered that it's enjoyable to run outside (when sidewalks are cleared).
2 comments:
Way to go Brenda! Hopefully your efforts will inspire others! I need to just walk, walk. Nice weather? 12" of snow and 0c degrees!! Hmmmm!
Love, grandma
That is alot of steps, Brenda. Good luck in reaching your goals!
Post a Comment