Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Photo of the Day at UBC Botanical Garden

Marybeth, Brenda, Mom,Margie and anybody else who loves taking photos of your gardens and native plants: 2 of my plant photos was featured at the UBC Botanical Garden photo site, by Daniel Mosquin there. It's at this website.

Daniel also writes a daily blog about not just plant topics, but also green building, sustainable design, and other topics of interest to architects, landscape architects, gardeners, botanists or anybody.

You guys take really beautiful garden photos, so you might consider submitting your photos to the Flickr group Daniel uses to find good plant pictures for their website, Botany Photo of the Day. I think Daniel takes more than half of the photos himself, right in the Botanical Garden or around Vancouver, but for variety, he started asking other photographers and gardeners if he could use their photos. He has used about 8 of mine in the last 6 months.

He also includes an interesting link to a botanical website and another to a photography website every day (except when he's on vacation, like he is now)

Anyway, I thought of you three and some of our Florida relatives (are you reading this, Florida-relatives??) because you are interested in the horticultural aspects of gardening.

The UBC Botanical Garden website has some interesting discussion forums. For questions about gardening, etc.

Just something to take up more of your spare time. But if you get more into photographing your garden (and plants on your hikes) and want to share them with the rest of the world, this might be a good way to do it.

5 comments:

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Great shots Maureen. I love the colours. And the photos of Florida relatives.

margie said...

way to go maureen, for getting your photos chosen. I am truly amazed by the photos you have taken. I went onto your blog and checked it out. It has inspired me to try and get more 'artful' (is that a word?) pictures of my own. or at least take more time getting it focused!
margie

Anonymous said...

Thank you Margie and Mom... it makes me so so so so happy that you commented. Heehee. I keep saying, Comments are Good!

Margie, I think we should all bring our cameras to the Girl's Go thing and we can swap photography tips. I can show you what I've learned about taking pretty good photos. Anybody who wants to learn to take better photos ... maybe we can do an informal session on one of our days together. So bring your camera, okay?

And now that I know you're looking at my blog ... I'm gonna see if you leave me any comments. :)

Mom, I'm glad you figured out to click on the bold names -- they are links. I'm never sure if anyone is checking the links I make in my blog posts. Glad you liked the photos of our Florida relatives. Maybe they'll come see their pictures, eh?

margie said...

okay, that sounds like a great idea. I don't usually leave comments on public sites. BUT, i did like the thing you had there (I think it was on your Blog) about the wool outfit. The things one learns about her sister!

Maureen said...

Margie, you didn't know that about me and my disaster in Home Ec sewing class? Well, I guess you were a little on the young side back then. Let's seee .... you would have been about 6 I think. :)

So, let's plan a camera/photography session at our girls-go thing.