Friday, March 24, 2006

Cold Conversation ... March 19 in Helena


Missive from the north country posted especially for our southern relatives:
"Wish You Were Here!" ;))

We had a snow-dump on Saturday night and all day Sunday. More snow than we've ever ever gotten in March, though it's typical to get a few snowstorms after we've all decided it might just be spring out there. It was just beautiful!

I love the way this snow fell so quietly, straight-down, no wind at all ... it piled up on the chair arms in narrow slices. Check out the middle chair, how almost knife-thin the snow pile on the arm is ... to me, that looks like some of the best, most grace-filled sculpture ... all accomplished in less than a day by Mother Nature!

The bench and chairs, above, are around our fire circle. Notice the depth of the snow. On the equinox (the day after I shot this pic) we had a fire there, as is our tradition on both equinoxes and both solstices. (we have fires other times too, but for sure on those days.) It was beautiful in the deep snow. I just brushed the snow off of two chairs and we sat on dry cushions. Wrapped up in blankets.

Here's the deer fence around our tiny salad garden just outside our back door:
Sculpted Water

I love the sculpted look before the snow starts to shift and change as it melts. This is as fresh as it gets!

4 comments:

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Beautiful! Calm! Cold! I love it too Maureen. Did you get a picture of you two sitting around the fire? That's more snow than we had here in Kelowna this year.
Love, mom

Mary Shaughnessy said...

I LOVE that thin edge on the chair arm, Maureen...very cool, and great that you were there to document it. Is it still there today? We are in a rainy period (called "Spring"), with no sun in the forecast through the weekend...ugh! There are though, by way of compensation perhaps, many plants in the garden leafing out or blooming...things could be worse.

margie said...

I love that type of snow too. It is so peaceful, especially at night.

Maureen said...

thanks, everybody! :)Mom, I'll post a photo.
Marybeth, the snow is about half melted in the shady parts of the yard and totally gone in the sunny areas. It was 55F! yesterday. Today is supposed to be that warm, then tonight it will snow again. And tomorrow, snow. March is a month of extremes for sure. I definitely don't miss the rain in Vancouver and Seattle! At least we have lots of sun here.

Margie, you're right - that kind of snowfall is especially beautiful and quiet at night, when other sounds (like traffic) fade away ... and maybe just the darkness makes us tune in our sense of hearing, and the quiet, more than when we can see everything in daytime.