Thanks, Maureen, oh great and powerful one (or should that be oh GREAT AND POWERFUL ONE!!!) I have a few questions, which you may be able to answer for the benefit of all.
Searching for a post: is there any search capability?
Index?
Answer by the GREAT ONE:
Mind you, this is mostly to demonstrate my omnipotence-when-it-comes-to-p0sting. See, I can take your draft and make it a real post. How about that?
The search capability (on the top bar) is spotty at best. Sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't, even when you search for words you know damn well are there! Anyway, I think it has to have time to digest the posts, because I have pretty good luck searching my blog. I sent a question in to the blogger help guys hoping they can answer me. I want a search capability for Tim's woodworking blog or I may have to switch to another blog-host for his.
I need categories on Tim's blog too. Categories would be exceedingly helpful on our family blog, to keep things searchable and less chaotic. We could have sections for recipes, ideas, scheduling, each family could have a section, whatever.
Here is a search I did on my own blog, Raven's Nest, for the word "Sam" (I know I write about him!)
Check this out
oh yeah, btw - tonight I was out taking nocturnal photos and had a close call with an escaped prison inmate!(yikes) I didn't actually see him, but I was acosted by a helicopter and two cops-on-foot while Sam and I were wandering around Spring Meadow Lake taking photos. (Sam was taking the photos - I was posing - the cops thought that was weird). Anyway, they had 30+ patrol cars and 2 copters circling the area and here I am wondering what's going on. They escorted me back to my car, fortunately, because the guy was still on the loose in the area. geez.
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hmmmm, that IS very powerful! when i opened the blog just now, at first i thought the draft mode msut be time-sensitive, and automatically posts itself after a certain amount of time has elapsed...then i learned it was merely OZ, acting unilaterlly behind the curtain!
ok, more questions, a la my voicemail to you last night:
can you post audio or video clips?
why is the format so constrained vertically?
m.b.
We are supposed to be able to post audioclips using Bloggers audioblog capability. I haven't done it, but Gabe has - so hopefully he'll answer that question here for everybody. I'm not sure if you can just post an audio recording you have on your computer, or whether you have to make the recording specifically for the blog using your telephone. I'll try to find out.
As for video clips - I don't think so, but I'll find out that too.
You are wondering why the blog format is constrained vertically - do you mean why is the text column so narrow all the way down to the bottom of the scrolling page? Or do you mean why does the blog arrange itself vertically, with the oldest posts at the bottom and the latest posts at the top, instead of having buttons you can click to get around, etc?
The text column is more or less narrow depending on the resolution and size of your computer monitor. On my old monitor, it looks great - the blog fills up almost the whole page. On the laptop I'm using (it's gabe's) the text column looks narrow and there is a big space to the left of the main text. The reason it's the size it is (the design reason) is to leave room for the sidebar content, so the text doesn't overlap the sidebar.
Sidebar content is one of the more important aspects of a blog - it includes archived posts (which we will have soon enough) and links to other sites, plus other info we may want to put there.
Hope that answers your ?s.
later--maureen
ok, i checked out the audioblog, and signed up to do it. it is done (as far as i can tell) strictly through the telephone. now i have to think of something worth recording!
yes, i was wondering about the narrowness of the text column, but you have explained that...thank you. i think it would be nice to be able to line up a series of images horizontally, that's all.
time to go,
m.b.
I've thought of that too - there is a way to put smaller thumbnail photos on the blog, side by side but you have to have a Flickr account to store them online (since blogger doesn't do that) Flickr accounts are free, until you decide you need more than 3 sets (albums) and whatever the uploading limit is. I have a paid flickr account, which is great because I use it!
anyway, you might want to create a personal blog, MB, so you can experiment with stuff like that. Not that you can't experiment here, but if you're the admin of your own blog, you can do anything you can do [grinning widely]
Post a Comment