Another Cool Photo Project
Some of you might be interested in another cool photo project I've just been involved with. The assignment was to take a photo in the "style" of a photographer we admire, and/or to make a photo inspired by a particular photo by that photographer. I had a great time doing this and learned alot in the process. I chose two photographers, Dorothea Lange (who was active in the Depression and dust bowl years) and Emmet Gowin who teaches photography at Princeton.
This is one of my results, and is based on Dorothea Lange's style. I wasn't trying to recreate a particular photo with this one, although I had this photo of "Ruby" in mind ...
If you're interested in seeing more of this project, I wrote a blog post about it at my personal blog, Raven's Nest.
The rest of the project photos are in this set on my flickr page.
The photos submitted to the project by all the different artists will be published sometime later this week at the Utata website (I've written about my involvement with Utata in previous posts on our family blog)... when it is ready, I'll let you know. I'm pretty excited about working on these projects ... can you tell?
3 comments:
Maureen, I'm just taking a break from working on Peter and Roma's guest house plans. I really like the feel of this photo, the sepia tone, the (apparent) melancholy of the girl. She reminds me in this shot of Stephanie, but not so much in the related shots on Flickr. Could you post a picture from Dorothea Lange, your inspiration for this shot? That would be useful to see them side by side (NOT to judge your result, but to understand better!)
Can you let us know when the Utata site is updated with your photos?
She is a little like Stephanie in this one ... I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out, MB.
I just made links in the original post to some photos by Dorothea Lange and Emmet Gowin (click on the bold words.) I'm not worried about anyone judging my results. I know I'm nowhere near the photographer Lange and Gowin were. heheh.
Also, I'll write something here when the Utata site has the complete Homage project up. Should be this weekend or maybe Friday.
okay, the Utata Homage project website is up and beautiful. It's the best project yet, in my opinion. I'll write a blog entry this weekend with links to the site. too busy tonight.
Post a Comment