In every one of us there is a hidden child

I thought I would share something I wrote on my own blog a couple days ago. This photo accompanies the text. I'm curious what others think of what I wrote. If you want to read what I wrote, just click on the link above (the bold words.)
2 comments:
While I found the description of the gravesite very poignant and also very familiar (the items in a toddler's pocket, for example) it was also very difficult to read. I almost immediately imagined myself in the position of the mother of that child, and how unbearable it would be to lose him or her. In fact, I still can hardly stand to watch movies in which children are in peril. With a 3 year old in the house, I'm afraid I'm too close to that scenario to view it objectively.
Beautiful photo, Maureen, and very appropriate perspective.
I can understand the difficulty you have with the thought of losing a child and how my description would bring that up. Me too. I guess that's one of the reasons I explore those kind of things - to go through it, even if vicariously. I'm not objective about it either. In fact, it made me very sad. I think of my own kids even when I write stuff like that, even though they're in their 20s now.
This grave is about 20 years old. The child died in the 1984. The year after Gabe was born. She would have been about Mickey's age. It was definitely close-to-home in that sense.
Still I find the cemeteries in Helena to be some of the most peaceful places to walk or just to spend time. Sometimes I just sit and think or in summer, I lie on the ground and nap or just watch clouds. Sam goes with me.
The section of this cemetery where this child's grave is ... it's less manicured -- as if the caretaker isn't taking care of it as well as the rest of the cemetery. Yet, there are signs of more care here, by those left behind .... there are more flowers (even though they're plastic) more wind chimes, little cards in envelopes, stuffed animals ... and it's not even close to Memorial Day.
Some of the decorations on this child's grave have been there for years -- some have been placed there recently. Grief changes over the years, but in my experience, it never goes away totally.
Post a Comment