Monday, January 30, 2006

Little Snowshoer

Yesterday we all went up to our local winter wonderland on Cypress Mountain. Nicholas and Julian skied, and Oliver and I rented snowshoes and snowshoed along the trail to the lodge. It was nice to go slowly for a change, along a narrow trail where the trees and bushes are right there, and where you can pick out the tracks of rabbits and other small animals in the snow (you can't really appreciate these kinds of things when you're skiing by at 20km/hour!). We met up with J and N at the lodge, had a hot chocolate, then snowshoed back to the car. Oliver did really well, and seemed to be enjoying himself more than when he skis in to the lodge. Nicholas wants to try snowshoeing next time!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I remember the first time I ever snowshoed was in 1972 with Shaun and a bunch of my friends. We went up into the Cascades over near Yakima and Wenatchee. Back then (whoah! that was a long time ago) these short hi-tech snowshoes like you guys were using, MB and Oliver, hadn't even been invented. What we had were snowshoes that seemed to me to be about 5 or 6 feet long! I kept stepping on my own feet because they were so long. Tripped alot the first hour or so, then I got used to it. It was hilarious. We were all falling down every few minutes and getting up was a real problem because the snow was so deep and fluffy. You'd go to put your arm out to support yourself as you got up and you'd just sink deeper. anyway we had tons of fun -- it was a 3-day backpacking trip so I had a big pack on my back, too!

I've tried those short "running" snowshoes. They are light years better than the old kind.

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Cool! Cool! Cool! What a way to spend a morning or afternoon. The hot chocolate sounds really nice! Good for you Ollie and of course Nicholas too.
Love, grandma