Sunday, February 19, 2006

The results are in!

We made it back in one piece from seeing the Wizard in Vancouver. We weren't as successful as we wanted to be (all firsts), but we still did quite well.

Team: 2nd in the URME (written), 2nd in the plant id
Team mate Dean (very smart individual): 1st in the URME with 70-something % (130 people wrote it), 5th in the plants with 90% (96 people wrote it), and 1st in the combined score
Me: 11th in the URME with 60-something %, 7th in the plants with 88%, and 3rd in the combined score (I won $500 American for that!)

The team from BYU (Utah) got first in the URME and the team from UAAN (northern Mexico) got first in the plants (again). If Mexico hadn't competed Dean would have been 1st in the plants and I would have been 2nd!

We all had a great time while we were there. We went to the student dance and ripped it up on the dance floor (one of the Mexicans took a liking to me and wouldn't stop asking me to dance!), went to the trade show, grad student poster session, several talks during the sessions, and had a mini-tour of Stanley Park (walked around Lost Lagoon) by me. I went out with one of the girls from the team after the awards ceremony and banquet and ripped it up on the dance floor in the bar, two-stepping to rock and roll. We also spent about 683 hours studying in the last two days before the tests.

Next year the conference is in Reno! I'm excited for it already! Have to start studying now so we can try again to beat the Mexicans and take the URME back from BYU (we swap 1st and 2nd with them just about every year).

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Not bad result, Brenda. You can be proud of what you did and of your team. Plus I think it's cool you danced with one of your Mexican "rivals". Flaunt those smarts! I hope you beat the BYU guys next year.