Fort Worden, near Port Townsend


I recently spent 5 days at ArtFest in Port Townsend, where we stayed in the barracks at a de-commissioned military base called Fort Worden. I explored around the Fort on my morning runs, and found some very cool textures in the massive fortified batteries that they have throughout the site, facing out to sea at the height of land. I'm pretty sure Port Townsend was never attacked by sea (or any other way), but they would certainly have been ready!!
I went with 2 of my friends from North Vancouver. We took 3 days of workshops, 2 of them painting, the other print-making. We had a great time, and we all agreed that the fun factor was equal parts doing art, and just getting away. We kept commenting on how easy it was to only look after ourselves...no car seats to wrestle with, no snacks to pack, no worrying about breaking things in the galleries and stores, etc...quite liberating, actually!
3 comments:
Nice to see you sharing your 'Getaway' to Port Townsend. I've never been to that area. I'm sure the 3 of you had lots of fun & laughter. Are there any pics of you and the other 'girls'?
I want to see what you made at the Art Fest. I have a friend in Seattle who went to that -- actually two friends -- I didn't know you were attending or I would have given you their names so you might have hooked up if you wanted to. Kim Carney is one of them -- she took lots of photos of her creations, plus ones made by people in the workshop she led. They were doing mixed-media assemblage/sculpture thingies. I was SO jealous of her getting to go -- we have nothing like that here, but I'd lvoe to either go to the Port Townsend ArtFest sometime or maybe get one started in Helena. It would take tons of work to organize something like that from scratch, though.
It's good to see some more artsy-fartsy photos from you, MB.
Maureen, i will scan some of the stuff i made at ArtFest and email it to you...it's not necessarily blog material! yes, it would have been good to link up with your friends, had i known they would be there. although we estimated there were 500+ people there, i probably came across them at some point without realizing it!
we are talking about going again next year...it would be fun if you were there at the same time! the hard part is that you have to commit to going in september, SIX months before ArtFest.
Post a Comment