Monday, May 01, 2006

Number one of three

It's been a while since my last post, and lots has been happening! Can't put everything in one post, so I'll have to break it up over a few days.

I got a new job! I'm now working for a land reclamation company based out of Edmonton. I started a week and a half ago. On Monday I went with a co-worker down to Manyberries (which is south of Seven Persons and north of Onefour!) to document a mess that an oil company made while dragging broken down equipment out of a lease after the ground had thawed. They made a disgusting mess.
It's going to take some work to fix all that. And that's just a small portion of it. You'd be surprised at how ignorant some people are. That's Marty (my co-worker) next to his quad in the middle of the picture.
Of course I took my camera and I managed to get some cool pictures! The Prairie Crocuses (Latin: Anemone patens) are blooming in full force and are like tiny purple spots of joy and life in the brown prairie. They are always the first plant to bloom in the spring time.

The Moss Phlox (Latin: Phlox hoodii) is also blooming in full force. This is a small clump on an abandoned oil lease. It's great at colonizing disturbed areas.
On our lunch break I scrambled up the side of a coulee (it was hands and knees at the top) to take a look at an old hawk nest that was falling off a cliff. When I got to the top I spooked a Canada Goose sitting on her nest! She made her nest at the very point of a ridge sticking out into the coulee. I have no idea how she plans to get her babies down from there. When I sat on the top of this ridge, one leg hung down one side, and the other leg hung down the other side! It's so steep - I can just imagine the goslings tumbling down like little balls of fluff.
I was hoping that Cougar Environmental (worked for them in Jan down in Milk River) would ahve more work for me, but no such luck. I've spent the past few months working for a friend on his Ph.D. work, and have been searching intensively for a good job. I was stubborn and turned down some offers because I was holding out for the job I wanted. It paid off in the end. I'm now working on the "other end" of the environmental consulting industry. Instead of determingin how oil and gas development will affect animal and bird life, I'm determining how it will affect the soils and plant life. I'll also be involved with planning reclamation work for distrubances like the one in the picture at the top. It's interesting work and I've learned lots already.

I've completed my B.Sc. in Rangeland and Wildlife Resource Management, and have decided to go back to skool in Sept to finish off my degree with a double major - Land Reclamation will be my second - so this job is perfect for learning about things in the field before I learn about them in the classroom - very beneficial.

7 comments:

Mary Shaughnessy said...

Brenda, I love reading about your "work" adventures.

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Looks like they made a huge mess taking out that equipment, Brenda.
How can that be rehabilitated?
VVVVVBDFB

Brenda said...

Good question Dad!

First the equipment that they left on the lease has to be taken out. Then all the straw they spread around all over the mud (presumably to insulate the ground and stop it from thawing more? or to provide traction in the mud?) has to be raked up (there's a LOT of straw - major weed introduction issues with that).

Then the rec work proceeds. On some of the access road the top soil was stripped off and pushed to the side (makes a better road base that way: less mud). The top soil needs to be bladed back onto the road with a small Cat, and smoothed so the chunks are broken up (maybe harrowed, maybe done by the Cat). Some of the area will have to be disked to un-compact the soil.

Then everything will be sprayed with herbicide as preventative maintenance to kill all the weeds that might be invading as I type this. An annual fall rye crop will be seeded in to provide temporary erosion control until the native vegetation can re-establish.

Some of the road may need gravel in the tire tracks because it will most likely be a permanent road and erosion will always be an issue, especially on slopes.

Once all that is done, we go back periodically to check on things to make sure that there aren't any erosion problems and that the vegetation is coming back.

It's actually not as bad as it looks. The ruts in the road don't go down into the sub-soil (below the top soil), so all that's required is to put the top soil back. If it wasn't pushed off to the side, it was just squished up into ruts, so then it would just be smoothed out.

And that's it!

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Brenda, it sounds like you are going to do everything humanly possible to fix up this mess. I looked at the photo enlarged and I guess that, even if they never drove on this road again, it would be at least 100 years before the evidence of the road is gone... or longer. Who pays for the rehabilitation? Keep up the good work.
VVVVVVVBDFB

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Hi B,
Is the company that is responsible for the eco-mess fined for bad practices? Are they responsible for the clean-up costs? It makes me so mad to see that.
Go get em!
Love,
QOTU

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Hi Brenda, I'm in London right now and don't have time to really read your posting but will when I get home on Thursday. It looks very interesting.
Love, grandma

Brenda said...

I'm not exactly sure who pays for the rec work. I 'think' the oil company that made the mess has to fork over the cash for the clean-up. They aren't slapped with a money fine, but they are slapped with an enforcement order from the gov't (Alberta Sustainable Resource Dev't).

Enforcement orders aren't given out very often because there isn't the man power in the ASRD offices to check up on everything that happens everywhere. This particular one states that the oil company is not allowed on any public lands anywhere until this mess is cleaned up. So it's kind of like a fine, because they're not allowed to work.

They can drill on private land though. ASRD isn't really concerned with private land because it's the landowner's responsibility to make sure everything is done correctly.

Once everything is cleaned up the oil company can go back in and finish the wells. However, that also depends on if there was a wildlife survey done before drilling began. The survey would be specifically for Spadefoot Toads, Leopard Frogs, and Burrowing Owls. If any of these species are found, all activity in the area will be suspended until the end of the breeding and rearing season.