Saturday, May 20, 2006

Whitty's gift

Look at how long this mouse's tail is! Whitty brought it in last night as a gift. Both Roma and I were amazed. And it has huge back feet. The mouse is laying in the kitchen sink in this photo.
Whitty brought one of these to us a few years ago still alive. I grabbed it from her by the very tip of its tail to release it and it did the most amazing thing. As I took it out the door it reached around and grabbed its own tail with its front paws and proceeded to pull itself up towards my hand to bite me. I dropped it right away and it scampered off into the grass. Does anyone know what kind of mouse this is?

Peter

5 comments:

Mary Shaughnessy said...

My google research leads me to believe it could be a meadow jumping mouse (Zapus hudsonius), apparently capable of amazing feats of athleticism.

margie said...

A dead mouse.
margie

Mary Shaughnessy said...

very funny, margie!! but also quite accurate!

Maureen said...

I agree with Margie. I think she hit it right on the head. (not the mouse, silly...)

Brenda said...

I think it is a Western Jumping Mouse (Zapus princeps) because there is a very definite distinction in color between the top and the bottom of the mouse. The Meadow Jumping Mouse has a more northern range than the Western as well.