Thursday, May 11, 2006

Three of three: Races!

On Sunday April 30th I did my first 10 km run. It was a fundraiser for three women who are going to do the 60 km walk for breast cancer this year ($2000/person!). It took me one hour to do. It was more of a jog than a run, but I did it! Unfortunately I got sick right after that and haven't been able to run since, but I'm planning for this Monday...

On Saturday May 6th I competed in the first endurance race of the year - on horses, not on foot! It was in Jarvie (2 hours north of Edmonton) and was 50 miles. We did it in 5 hours and 6 minutes! It was the best 50 miler that the horses have had yet, and it's only the first race of the season! I was 6th on Hailey (out of 30), and Hailey was judged second for best condition. I'm so proud of her. She's just a little skinny thing, but man is she ever strong! Christy (owns the horses) was 5th on Vice, and her daughter Jaylene (13 years old) was 2nd in the juniors. Her son Brett (15 years old) crewed for us.

Horse camp on one side of the trailer - Vice, Flint, and Hailey...
People camp on the other side of the trailer - Jaylene and Brett (Christy's kids)

Some background info on endurance races:
- A vet checks you horse the day before the race (called vetting in) to take baseline readings for pulse, respiration, hydration, quality of movement, lameness, etc., and to determine if your horse is fit to start
- At set distances during the race there are vet checks which your horse must pass to be able to continue on
- Each vet check has a mandatory hold time (gives the horse and rider a breather)
- At the end of the ride your horse must pass the final vet check (called vetting out) for your placing to count and to get credit for your miles
- If the race is 80 miles and you are told at 68 miles that your horse can't continue on for some reason, then you don't get credit for any miles (so you better get all the way to the end!)

Hailey all tacked (with my new cushy saddle cover!) and ready to go the morning of the race.

I'm not sure when I'll race next, probably next month. I may have the opportunity to go to Quebec in Sept and compete in the Nationals! Have to save up money for that trip!

2 comments:

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Brenda, I'm happy to see that you're enjoying life there in Alberta. Your run and your enduranace race look like wonderful experiences. This time of year is so nice! Do you agree? Keep enjoying and sending us your updates.
Love, grandma

margie said...

Way to go Brenda! keep up the running. I'm still doing 45 minutes of walking and running. can't seem to run the whole way! oh well, that is what age gives you!
margie