October Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Most of you probably already know October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but in case some have not been following all the pink stuff happening all over the place, I thought I would post this here, as well as put a button at the top of our sidebar (left.)

You can click that button to donate -- totally free -- money to the search for a cure and to funding free mammograms to women in need. All you do is click on that pink button, and at the website that comes up, there is another button to click to "donate." It works because they have sponsor companies whose logos (small ads) are displayed after you click the pink button. Every click donates a certain amount to the fund. It's not a scam and you don't have to click any of the ads to make it work. You can click once a day if you want to.

I myself have been the recipient of 4 free mammograms from the Susan B. Komen fund which sponsors international "Race for the Cure" and I know I have been very appreciative of the availability of free screenings since we have never had health insurance of any kind.
Anyway, here is another online resource -- a fantastic series of short films online (you don't have to download them to watch) about breast cancer called "Beyond the Shock." Very educational. I have a close friend who is a breast cancer survivor of 8 years, who just found out the cancer has come back and is spread in many places in her bones. She is fighting it with a great attitude. I hope she survives this bout, too.

2 comments:
Maureen, thanks for this post. All of us here in Canada are also fortunate to receive free mammograms. I make sure I go every year. Your friend is very brave. Hopefully she beats it a second time.
This year and last, we feel just outside the income guidelines for getting a free mammogram. I didn't get one last year. I need to do it this year. :-{
Post a Comment