Giving Thanks
This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada -- more than a month before our Thanksgiving south of the border (I have never understood why the US has Thanksgiving/Harvest celebration so long after the actual harvest in September and October.)
Anyway, Thanksgiving -- no matter when it occurs -- is my favorite holiday. I like it because it isn't tied to a particular religious observation; because it happens in my favorite time of year: autumn; because it's a time family and friends come together just to be together and finally, because it is a time to reflect on the blessings in my life.
I am grateful for the joys and the struggles in my life. For the blacks, whites and grays that make up the full, complex and satisfying trajectory of my life. For my soulmate and husband, Tim -- for all five of our kids, for my ancestors, for my parents, brothers, sisters, in-laws and many, many other relatives.
I am grateful for my friends and animal companions. For the freedom of being self-employed, for our spiritual study-group and for our teacher, Brant Secunda and his family. I am thankful that I live in a democracy, no matter how frustrated I get with our political system I am free to stand up for what I believe, to express my thoughts and values and to work as I desire, own a home, and travel wherever I wish.
Tim and I are truly blessed. Though we live a simple life, we feel rich with family, love and fulfilling jobs. Thank you all for being part of my life, for being my family. I love you all very much.
I invite all of us to take a few minutes this weekend to express our gratitude however we want to -- maybe with some words and/or photos here, on our family blog. Or just in your journal or out loud to your loved ones at home. A hug, a love/thankyou-note, a prayer .... a little bit goes a long way toward spreading the blessings around.
Feeling the gratitude is only half of the delight of being thankful. Actually saying or showing your gratitude is what makes the joy real.

4 comments:
Very well said, Maureen. You have put perfectly into words a picture of a very special time of year. Fall has also been the season I look forward to the most. Thank you for being a wonderful sister!
Yes, Maureen, very nicely put. I was asking Oliver yesterday what he is thankful for, and his first idea was "colour", followed by God, and then Lego.
Today we (just the 4 of us) are having our "feast", which includes a roasted chicken, roasted veggies, yam fries, applesauce and pumpkin pie (my first!).
When the pie is done shortly, we are going to the swimming pool...the boys need some exercise, and our weather is of the wet and miserable variety (but I am still thankful for it!!).
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to those north of the border, and Happy Autumn to those south of it!
Maureen, I agree whole heartedly with you. You said it for all of us. Then you always have a special way with words. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
thanks, kat and jer and mb and mom ... I hope you all had a great day for Thanksgiving.
MB: sounds yummy! I can't believe you haven't made a pumpkin pie before. heheh. How did it turn out?
Post a Comment