The Rat Race

This past weekend I rode in a 48km mountain bike race in Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast. It was my first ever bike race, of any kind, and certainly the longest race of any kind I've ever entered. It took me just over 4 hours of continuous riding to complete the course.
I am MUCH stronger on the uphill sections (where I manage to pass alot of people), but then get passed on the downhill sections. I had one fall, within 5 minutes of the finish line, and now have a shoulder injury which will take some time to heal. I also experienced leg cramps within the last 1/2 hour, and can tell you that it is NOT a good feeling! All in all, though, a fun day, and definitely good exercise!
6 comments:
Way to go MaryBeth! What a fete (sp?)! You look quite happy in the first pic and a little tired in the second. When is your next one?
Good going MB! Where did you finish?
Wow that sounds like a lot of fun. How did you prepare?
Thanks, you guys! I finished 7th in my age group (out of 9!), and 19th amongst women (not including the Elite category). As for the pictures, the one where I'm smiling was actually further along in the race, close to half-way I think; the other one was only about 1/2 an hour into the race, but at the top of a hard technical hill.
As for preparing, Mickey, I bought a mountain bike about 2 months ago, and have substituted riding for my usual running as much as possible. I managed to get out on a few long rides on the weekends, and shorter more technical rides, or hill intervals during the week. I think I can improve alot as I gain more experience with the technical riding (especially downhill!), and just spend more time in the saddle. My next race is in Squamish in July, although there is another one I am considering in Merrit at the end of May.
Way to go MB!!!
Congrats, Marybeth, on finishing the race -- on entering the reace, even. After only two months with your bike, I'd say you're in great shape. I'm impressed. Keep going with that.
Mickey, maybe you would consider entering a bike race now that you've been biking for awhile -- with your Aunt Marybeth as inspiration ... why not? ;-)
Mom, I think it's feat ... but fete would also be appropriate -- Marybeth deserves a party after that kind of effort!
Post a Comment