What's in her basket
Here is a picture of the inside of the humming bird's nest. You can see from the size of the wire that the nest is sitting on, how big the eggs are. The look to me to be about the size of a small pea. It is difficult to tell what the inside of the nest is lined with, but it looks like it might be fibreglass insulation. Any guesses?
4 comments:
awww, that is so so so cute, Kathy! I love the other photo of the nest on the string of light - this one is just precious too! Why don't you take a whole series of photos and put them together -- it doesn't take long for hummingbird eggs to hatch. That would be really cool.
I'm going to do a blog post on Raven's Nest about your hummingbird. I think that's about the coolest hummer nest I've ever seen.
now that i looked at the photo larger I think you're right, Kat -- it does look like fiberglass insulation. Very well put together, too!
that nest is a work of art. i am especially likin' the lichen camoflauge decoration on the outside! keep taking pictures, Kag, and post them here...the boys are loving it!
haha, MB -- Tim made the same pun last night when he saw the photo. heheheh. I agree it's a work of art -- as well as exquisite craft.
I used to teach elementary school kids a unit about birds where we would all attempt to make a "bird" nest out of the same materials the birds used. That included hair from our hairbrushes, plant materials, sticks, mud, threads, dryer lint, etc)
Working in pairs, they would try to "weave" or otherwise form the nests in the crotch of a small branch. At a certain point we'd take a break to talk about the challenges of building a nest as structurally sound and functional as a bird's nest ... we'd talk about the different methods of construction (mud daubs with grass, "weaving over and under" knot-tying, etc...) then we'd start again, this time using some kind of "glue" (depending on the age of the kids we'd use glue guns or elmer's glue)
It was always a popular and fun lesson for the kids -- especially when they got around to comparing their nest building challenges (having 10 fingers, an oppposable thumb, large brains, etc) with the instinctual skills of the birds who use only their much smaller brains, along with their beaks and feet to build their nests.
I wish I'd had my camera then so I could have taken some photos. They resulting nests were so sweet and beautiful.
Post a Comment