Capilano Suspension Bridge
At the end of last month, the Capilano Suspension Bridge reopened after being closed for almost 4 months. The closure followed the incredible double-whammy of a major windstorm and a major snowstorm in rapid succession back in November. The tree/log (on the left) fell across the bridge, and had to be removed gradually in sections (if it had been removed all at once, the spring-back from the cables would have been disastorous). They used a crane to swing the remainder of the tree parallel to the bridge, and then incorporated part of it into the boardwalk, which you can see on the right. The damage to the bridge was amazingly quite minor, but they did have to redo the cable anchors on both sides. Of course, the damage in this park was nothing compared to what happened in Stanley Park (but I'll save that for another post).
These trail-munchkins include Nicholas and Oliver and my friend Tracey's 3 children (Leanne, Kevin and Ben). Here they are posing along the trail, and later enjoying a civilized game of chess adjacent to the Trading Post (read, Place to Buy Souvenirs).
2 comments:
Very interesting story and nice pics MaryBeth. I like the one of the 5 sitting on a rock (?). I look forward to the Stanley Park pics too.
I like that photo of the 5 kids together too.
Post a Comment