Friday, April 27, 2007

A Hummingbird Sighting

Nicholas spotted this little hummer sitting at the top of our dogwood tree. He was there for more than a few minutes, although it didn't look very relaxing for him -- he was scanning the skies around him the whole time. We think it is a Rufous Hummingbird (and yes, I altered the colour...the image from the camera was pretty much black and white (and boring), a reflection of our dismal rainy day here on the wet coast).

Today we also spotted what we think is a bushtit, as well as a white-crowned sparrow.

4 comments:

Pat Shaughnessy said...

That is a great picture especially with the green background. Way to go MaryBeth!

Maureen said...

yes - the green really adds something to the photo. You have Picasa, right, MB? Sometime you should fool around with the black and white with spot color tool -- you could make the hummer kindof pink or reddish with the green background. I love green and pink together.

Cool pic -- If I were quick enough to get my camera out when I see a hummingbird, I wouldn't be able to get nearly as good a shot because I don't have a telephoto or zoom lens really (well,, a little bit of zoom, but not nearly enough to really focus on the little birdie) heheh.

tell Nicholas I said he has Good Eyes!

Mary Shaughnessy said...

Thank you, both. That picture was actually taken through the glass sidelite at our front door, as I could not risk opening the door and scaring him away. Yes, zoom lenses are quite nice. And yes, I have Picasa...you downloaded it for me when you were here last fall. I really like the program, and have had lots of compliments on my photos since I started playing around with them in Picasa.

I told Nicholas he has good eyes, too! I'll tell him in the morning that you said so. He has a great journal entry from when we were over on Quadra, including a drawing of you (because you were coming to stay at our house)...I'll have to scan it and send it to you.

Maureen said...

Can you scan it and put it up here on our blog? I'd love to have it on my computer too, so whenever you get around to scanning it, email it to me, okay? I'll make it a screensaver.