Friday, June 26, 2009

Oyen Prairie Chicken Run

On June 13/14 I competed in my first multi day ride in Oyen, which is in southeastern AB. I rode Hailey again and we did 50 miles each day. The country down there is prairie, which means no shade! 100 miles is a long way to ride in the heat when you can't get out of the sun. Luckily all vet checks were at camp (which was the ride manager's ranch) and there was a line of trees in the driveway that we set up under, so I had shade on my brief breaks.

Hailey and I both did really well, which was surprising because in the past we have both stuggled in the heat. She's the fittest she has ever been, which really helped her, and I've figured out a heat coping strategy, which really helped me. Basically I drink tons of water and Powerade, stay out of the sun when in camp, wear a neck cooler on the trail, and wear TONS of SPF 55 sunscreen. At the end of the first day I was wearing so much sunscreen that I was white and streaky! But I didn't burn, even with a tank top for both days.

I rode with Lisa for the first half of day 1. I left her at the half way point because she had to slow down her pace a bit for her horse, Flint. Hailey was still going strong, which was well demonstrated by the fact that she then proceeded to spook at EVERYTHING on the trail because there wasn't another horse to lead. You'd think that out on the prarie there wouldn't be much to spook at, but apparently large rocks and tumble weeds on the side of the road are horse eating monsters.


Afternoon of day 1, after we left Lisa. Only 10 miles left to go!


Coming into camp for the last time on day 1. It looks like a desert because it practically is. There has been very little rain so far this year and the grass is literally crispy.


We started day 2 by ourselves. Hailey isn't a front running horse, so we had to hang back from the leaders. She's more of the slow and steady wins the race type. I knew that riding by ourselves would be tough towards the end of the day when we would both start to get tired, so I caught Colleen, who was about 3 miles in front of me, and rode with her for the rest of the day. Her stallion, Striker, was trying to put the moves on Hailey all day, and Hailey kept giving him the evil eye, threatening to kill him if he came close.


Good morning! About 10 miles done by 6 am on day 2. It was already starting to get hot.


Heading out to catch Colleen and Striker on the second loop of day 2. What a beautiful morning! I can't think of anything else I would rather do.


We successfully finished both days. Of all the horses that were there that weekend, Hailey was one of three (including Striker) that did 50 miles both days. Sadly there weren't any awards for both days combined, because Hailey was the top 2 day horse. I have to say though, that I would much rather ride 100 miles in one day than over 2 days. My leg muscles seized on the 6 hour drive home and I almost couldn't get out of the truck! I hobbled for 2 days, and then recovered. It's a tricky business trying to sit down on the toilet to go pee when your legs are too sore to support you! Requires a bit of creativity!

4 comments:

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Wow - another great ride and love the photos!!! Glad you have a heat management strategy worked out.

And about Hailey spooking - remember these words of equine wisdom:
There are only two things that horses are truly afraid of; they are things that move, and things that don't move.

Happy trails!
Love,
QOTU

PS It's nice that you feel comfortable enough to share the bathroom experience with all of us. :-0

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Brenda you make it sound so exciting! I would sometime like to see at least a bit of one of your rides. I love the photos and your story. My question is: who took the photos?
Love,
Grandma

Brenda said...

There's a photographer that started coming to the rides last year. The ride manager sends him to places on the trail where he can get good shots and he takes pictures for most of the day.

At the end of the day he sets his computer up with a printer and you can come browse through all the pictures. He'll print the ones you want right there, or you can get a cd with all your pictures. If there are lots of good shots I buy a cd. Then I have the digital pictures and can crop them how I want and get them printed.

Brenda said...

PS I thought that sharing the bathroom experience would be entertaining!