Horseshoe Lake Challenge
On May 17th I rode in the first race of the season. It was an international level (FEI) ride. I rode in the FEI* 50 mile division on Hailey. There are 4 * levels for FEI rides: FEI* 50 miles, FEI** 75 miles, FEI*** 100 miles, and FEI**** Worlds (usually 75 or 100 miles). Horses and riders never having done an FEI race have to start with the FEI* and work their way up through the star (*) levels. I would like to compete internationally, so I'm starting at the bottom and building my resume.
I rode with Lisa and Jaylene for most of the day. On the last loop I left them to catch a lady I knew was about 15 minutes in front of me. We blew by her and raced the rest of the way in. Hailey and I had a lot of fun on that last loop, tearing around and weaving through the trees as fast as we could go. She's so fit that it only took about five minutes for her pulse to reach her resting rate after we crossed the finish line. We successfully finished (forget our placing, but somewhere close to the end), and are looking forwards to the next FEI ride, possibly in Sept.

4 comments:
Great photos Brenda, wish I could have been there. Looks like everyone was having a great time.
Congrats to you and Hailey - again - for doing well.
I remember Leah and Willow from the Nationals last year, they were the cutest pair ever. I wish Willow could live at our house.
Love,
Mum
That looks like a lot of fun you were having Brenda. What a lucky girl you are to be able to do that.
Love,
Grandma
Leah's younger sister Naomi is now riding Willow. The both came to the last ride in Oyen (pics and story to come still) and Sharon was ponying Naomi and Willow on part of the trail the day after she and Leah rode. Willow was taking good care of Naomi while they cantered along. He's such a cutie.
Willow is the best pony ever!
Post a Comment