Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cold weather and crazy swimmers

For once the weather forecast was actually right! Mostly. It called for 30 cm of snow last night and today, and a wind chill today of -37 C. We got 20 cm of snow, and the wind chill was -30 C. It was a blizzard this morning and all day today. The bus was 1/2 an hour late, and it took an hour to get to school - a distance of 6.5 km. Not a fun trip. Froze partially solid while waiting for the bus, fell asleep while on the bus, missed my first class because I was on the bus, thawed out at school, then froze partially solid again while walking to the bus and while walking home from the bus stop. I am now thawed again. Thankfully.

What GREAT weather!

Oh yeah, and I'm participating in the Edmonton Food Bank Fundraiser Polar Bear Dip on Sun. It's supposed to be -30 C! I participated last year and my picture made it into the local paper, and then in a paper that's distributed in Vancouver and on the internet. I hope that doesn't happen again.

3 comments:

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Hooray for the weather forecaster being correct!
Boo for freezing partially solid and for missing your first class.
Hooray for thawing out at school.
Boo for freezing partially solid again while walking to and from the bus.
Hooray for thawing out at home.
And extra hooray for being environmentally conscious enough to use the bus, despite partially freezing solid three times!
And Double Hooray for participating in the Edmonton Food Bank Fundraiser Polar Bear Dip on Sunday!
It will be summer before you know it!
Love,
QOTU

Pat Shaughnessy said...

Freezing and Thawing! That doesn't sound like very much fun! Hopefully that weather won't last too long. Hmmm! Don't want your picture in the paper again eh? Hmmmmm!! I wonder!

Love,
Grandma

Brenda said...

Well, I am sad to report that I will not be participating in the Polar Bear Swim tomorrow. On Friday I woke up with a head/throat cold that has progressed into my chest. There'll be no icy water for this sickie. Very sad. I was looking forward to it. I'm still going and will support the cause and the people who are brave enough to take the plunge.