Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Great Northern Owl

I took this picture this morning at a park not far from our house. I am going to keep an eye on this nest to see when the babies hatch. She doesn't look too impressed, but I was far enough away. Pretty cool!

7 comments:

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Pretty cool! It's so weird that they nest so early. They are getting ready to nest here right now and we hear the mating calls every night... but it's -20. Make sure you don't disturb her.

Pee

Pat Shaughnessy said...

It's hard to tell but is that an owl? Great photo!

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

Roma pointed out that this is a Great Horned Owl rather than a Great Northern Owl, which would be an as yet undiscovered species.

Pee

Wet Coasters said...

Yes, you are right, my mistake. But it is a great owl nonetheless and maybe even a great photo!

Peter, Roma and Oblio said...

All owls are great, and are very interesting creatures.
R.

Chris said...

Cool shot Kathy! I may have to come and visit you soon...I've yet to see a Great Horned Owl.