Freezing is the new hot in Alberia
Alberia is currently experiencing an extreme low pressure system that has sent the province into a deep freeze for the last 6 days (and will continue to for at least the next 3 days to come). Heard on the radio yesterday that freezing is the new hot in Alberia, because it is WAY below freezing!
With wind chill it was -37 C yesterday. This morning the thermometer read -34 C. Forecast for tonight is -40 C! Cache hasn't been outside to play frisbee in 2 days and is getting squirrely...
I suppose the temperature in Spruce Grove isn't as bad as it is elsewhere in Alberia. In Conklin (where Bryce works in camp) it was -54 C yesterday! Everything froze, including trucks, cranes, other heavy equipment, and the taps in the bathrooms. Vehicle tires had flat spots frozen in them that took several miles to round out (if you could get it started and warmed up enough to drive). Three days ago the heater in Bryce's crane stopped working. Thankfully it was only -30 C (!).
I knew we would pay the price for the balmy fall that lasted into November.
PS The amaryllis blooms are still going strong though!
4 comments:
Yowsers! I'll take a Chilcotin winter over that any day.
XO
Mum
And I'll take a Kelowna winter any day. How can you breath in that temp Brenda? Brrrrrrr!! Stay warm.
Alberia is definitely earning its new name these days.
It's not so bad breathing in the cold. It's the frosty nose and exposed skin that's a problem. If I was a man and had a beard I would get beardsicles like Dad does!
And it's really special when your eyelashes freeze together. Oh, and don't forget when your bare skin sticks to anything metal and it really hurts when you detach yourself from the frozen metal object. And how much your fingers hurt (like they're going to fall off) when you have to take your gloves off to do anything - especially if you're working with something metal...and you stick to it....
X0
Mum
Post a Comment