Happy Hallooooooweeeen everybody!

Mickey's Frankenstein
Originally uploaded by MontanaRaven.
Mickey took this photo in his lab at Cornell. I think he was using a webcam (right, Mick?) and it was at least three years ago. My memory is not so good anymore heheh. Anyway, I was just playing around (Peter I thought you would appreciate this) ... turned him into Frankenstein.
Boo!
and now, for something else to go with the Halloween holiday spirit (besides candy), here's something I think is cool ... maybe somebody else will be interested too: MIT (Mass. Institute of Technology) has a glass pumpkin patch every year. Click here to see more photos of their super cool glass pumpkins and squashes. below the photo there should be numbered pages to click through ... it's worth a look!
The Great Glass Pumpkin Patch at MIT is an annual installation of 1,000 handblown glass pumpkins, created by artists from the MIT Glass Lab and The Bay Area Glass Institute. Proceeds from this event benefit The MIT Glass Lab, where the MIT community can learn and practice the art of glassblowing. The Great Glass Pumpkin Patch came to MIT in 2001 after a residency in the Glass Lab by 14 members of the Bay Area Glass Institute (BAGI). The Bay Area Glass Institute (a non-profit corporation located in San Jose, CA), was founded in 1995 by San Jose State graduate Bobby Bowes and MIT alumnus Mike Binnard. Every week or so, beginning, intermediate, and advanced students work together for a few hours in teams of six or seven to produce pumpkins for the sale. Production for the October event continues steadily throughout the year in order to achieve our goal of 1000-1200 pumpkins. Dates for next year's patch will be announced on (the MIT) website.
<);-)
4 comments:
What a face! Scary! Those glass pumpkins are beautiful and very interesting.
maureen, who makes the glass pumpkins and squashes? are they for sale each year? i also think that's a cool idea...
Marybeth and Mom, I'm pretty sure the students and faculty at the glass program at MIT make these squashes and pumpkins every year for sale. I love them -- these remind me a little of the glass spheres we bought on Quadra island... I love the greenish ones that look more like different squash varieties. Anyway, maybe you could write to somebody at that department for information on their pumpkin patch sale ... would it be something you could help to get going at UBC or Simon Fraser or some other community-event type of thing? Maybe the UBC Botanical Garden would be interested in doing something like that ... after all, Dale Chihuly lives very close to Vancouver ....
MB, I added a little bit more about the MIT glass pumpkin patch in the blog post, so you might want to read that before taking the time to go to the MIT site. I just copied something from their blurb. hope that helps.
xoxoxo
Post a Comment